Opportunity 2.0, funded by USAID, will strengthen second-chance education programs for vulnerable out-of-school youth in the Philippines. Opportunity 2.0 will collaborate and work with national and local systems supporting youth in order to provide 180,000 youth with the skills and opportunities to improve their education, employment, and livelihood outcomes.
Achieving this vision will require a multi-faceted, systems-strengthening approach that aligns the formal education system, markets, and youth “sub-systems” at the regional levels. This will be achieved by providing experienced project personnel embedded in government departments; further aligning the input of technical assistance; and maximizing opportunities to bring together the respective stakeholders to identify and refine synergies and transition pathways for youth, particularly between Department of Education (DepEd)’s Alternative Learning System (ALS) program and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).
The TESD Coordinator will support/assist the TESD Advisor in designing and ensuring quality implementation of the activity’s approach to building institutional capacity at the various levels of TESDA to effectively implement and manage improved TESDA programs. The TESD Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating project coordination, planning and implementation activities with TESDA’s relevant departments/units and gather, manage and feed information to the TESD Advisor for technical guidance and advice to the project management team, TESDA, Youth Development Alliances, as well as to USAID. S/he will assist in the conduct of activities to build necessary capacity across TESDA to use data to inform decision-making and improve implementation of training and education programs. He will also work with the Master Trainers to support and sustain the improvements of TESDA trainers in training program quality delivery that the activity will introduce. The TESD Coordinator reports to the TESD Advisor.
Under the guidance of the TESD Advisor, the Technical Education and Skills Development Coordinator’s specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain effective contacts and project coordination activities with TESDA’s relevant offices, departments and units at the national and regional levels.
- Maintain effective partnership linkages with other government entities such as DepEd, DTI, DOLE, DOST, NEDA, CHED; and LGUs for effective project collaboration with TESDA.
- Monitor technical program implementation as it relates to TESDA partnerships.
- Provide support/assistance to the Youth Development Coordinators in the selected sites on implementation activities and technical support relating to technical education and skills programs.
- Assist in monitoring quality assurance of technical services during on- going project implementation, by project partners as it relates to TESDA technical components.
- Co-facilitating regular meetings, joint planning and implementation meetings with TESDA as well as in workshops, training of trainers and other relevant capability building activities for TESDA officials and trainers.
- Supporting monitoring of project collaborative activities with TESDA: tracking physical targets/ deliverables, ensuring quality assurance mechanisms are in place and operating effectively, ensuring clear linkages with the project’s M&E work.
- Provide support in learning agenda activities as they relate to TESDA technical activities.
- Prepare for regular updates and reports for the TESD Advisor on project planning and implementation issues and concerns that impact the project’s collaborative work/activities with TESDA
- Participate in a multi-disciplinary team to assess, adapt, and implement the WRN!, WBL and other training programs.
- Assist in the adaptation and localization of the new WRN! curriculum modules and WBL instructional materials for TESDA’s 21st Century Skills curriculum.
- Provide support in adaptation workshop and Training of Trainers workshop (TOT) of the WRN! Curriculum/WBL toolkit/TESDA’s 21st Century Skills competencies with partner TVET (technical vocational education and training) institutions.
- Assist in the conduct of an adaptation workshop of an ICT technical skills training curriculum with ICT industry partners and with partner TVET (technical vocational education and training) institutions.
- Support and monitor delivery of the WRN! training, WBL activities, and ICT technical skills training activities at partner TVET schools/institutions.
- Assist in the formulation of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) that define roles and expectations between partners TVET schools and local employers, including ICT technical skills training partners in the project sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social development, economic and planning, or related field from a reputable educational institution is required.
- A Master’s Degree in Technical Education or Technology Education or related field is an advantage
Skills and Experience
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in a project(s) similar to Opportunity 2.0, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility.
- Experience working with TESDA national offices, good understanding, and familiarity of TESDA’s systems, programs, and processes.
- Skills and experience in curriculum and training aids development preferred.
- Special training and experience in TVET management and program delivery with knowledge on TVET Qualification Framework is an advantage.
- Demonstrated good facilitation and presentation skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated capacity for coordination, networking and task management.
- Excellent people skills at all levels, cultural sensitivity and the ability to work in a multicultural work environment.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and preparing effective power point presentations.
- Willingness to work and travel in all project areas.
Fluency in Filipino and English.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring a highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.